The Profile of a Lay Preacher
A Lay Preacher should have the following qualities
- A knowledge of the content of the Bible
- The skill to interpret and explain the bible and thus needs to understand both the text and the people in the contemporary context
- A knowledge of theology in the Methodist tradition.
- A knowledge of the history of Methodism
- The ability to thinking theologically and thus to express their own understanding of theological issues
- Homiletical skills
- The ability to use a varieties of presentations and service forms.
- The ability to compose a contemporary sermon
- The ability to present a sermon
- The ability to create a liturgical framework and hence as knowledge of the liturgical year
- The skill to conduct basic pastoral care and hence the skills to understand oneself and other peopl